When I say, “Rice Krispie Treats” what comes to mind?
If you’re American you immediately picture a tasty, addictive, marshmallow and rice cereal square. If you’re in Ireland you imagine something different. Such was my predicament a few years ago when, for my older daughter’s mid-week birthday, I sent her to school with a batch of…you guessed it…American Rice Krispie Treats. We weren’t in the classroom door five minutes when one little darling shouted out, “These aren’t Rice Krispie Buns! There’s no chocolate!!”
Flash forward to present day…earlier this week (can that be a flash-forward?)…Monday to be exact. My sweet third-grader asked me to speak to her class on all things Saint Patrick and Irish. With her direction, I brushed up on my edited-version of Irish history and Saint Patrick and prepared a 30-minute presentation. But what’s a presentation without a snack? Not much if you’re in third grade (third class or KG3 for my Irish readers).
Wanting our Irish-talk to be about all things Irish, my daughter and I decided to make…you guessed it…Irish Rice Krispie Buns. Together we measured and melted the chocolate and added the cereal. In a matter of minutes we were done and well on our way to taste-testing. Can I get a “yummmmm”?
The talk on Saint Patrick and Ireland went well. My youngest daughter and I are turning the talk into a children’s book and will start submitting it to publishers in the coming weeks. If we’re lucky enough to get it published we’ll let you know. In the meantime, whip up a batch of these tasty Irish Rice Krispie Bun Treats…they’re simple and delicious.
Irish Rice Krispie Bun Treats
Makes approximately 30-35 Treats
4oz/113g good quality semi-sweet or milk chocolate
3 cups/75g/3oz Rice Krispie Cereal
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Put 30-35 mini muffin cases on the baking tray in preparation of adding the mixed treats.
3. Gradually add the Rice Krispies to the melted chocolate and stir well to ensure the cereal is completely coated with chocolate.
4. Spoon a heaped teaspoon into each mini muffin case.
5. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and allow to cool completely before serving.
Note: For a nice Irish-American twist, add a cup of mini-marshmallows to the chocolate covered rice cereal and mix well. For an Irish surprise, top the treats with colourful Smarties (M&M’s).
- Featured Post: Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispie Treat Pops (thelushnest.com)
- Loaded Rice Krispie Treats (ideasinfood.com)
- http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2011/09/extra-yummy-rice-krispie-treat-recipes.html (chickabug.com)