Everybody loves meatballs. Easy to make and oh so comforting when added to homemade spaghetti sauce, this Italian classic is always a favourite in our home. In fact, when I told the kids we were having spaghetti and meatballs tonight they let out a cheer! Perfect as it is, you may wish to give it an Irish twist by substituting minced lamb for the mince (ground beef). Enjoy!
1lb/16oz/500 organic minced beef (or minced lamb)
1 free-range egg
2 Teaspoon ground turmeric
1 Teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 onion, chopped finely
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1. Mix all the ingredients, except for the olive oil, together in a medium bowl.
2. Roll the meat into 3 centimeter/1½-inch size balls.
3. In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat and swirl to fully coat the bottom of the pot. Add meatballs and cook until browned all over.
4. Remove the cooked meatballs from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a plate covered with kitchen roll (paper towel). Cover with another layer of kitchen roll to remove excess oil.
5. Serve as is or add to your favorite pasta dish or sauce.