I know we’re in the season of Lent and treats are supposed to be off the table for the coming weeks but when a friend phoned the other day to say she was going to call in (stop by), I had to make something quick to serve with the tea.
My saving grace was a yummy recipe for tray baked Irish Shortbread Biscuits found on the internet. It comes from Annaharvey Farm in Tullamore, County Offaly. I haven’t had the pleasure of staying at Annaharvey Farm or meeting proprietors Henry and Lynda Deverell yet but hopefully some day soon.
For those interested, Annaharvey Farm won the 2013 Georgina Campbell Award for Farmhouse of the Year. Henry and Lynda give the following five reasons why you should book a stay with them.
- Cosy Farmhouse accommodation with great home cooked food.
- Probably have the best riding school horses in the country available to clients.
- Extensive cross country course over our 380 acre farm and woodland.
- Enthusiastic and experienced instructors.
- A warm welcome and a wonderful all round experience
If the welcome at Annaharvey Farm is as good as its shortbread, this is one guesthouse you ought not to miss!
Annaharvey Shortbread Biscuits
3 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon/500g plain flour (if outside Ireland, use as All-Purpose flour)
2 1/3 cups/250g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
2 cups/250g corn flour (if outside Ireland, use Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Corn Flour)
2 cups + 2 tablespoons/500g melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
2. Sift all dry ingredients together.
3. Add melted butter and mix well.
4. Using your fingers, press the dough into a 9×13” or 10×15” baking tray or Swiss Roll tin.
5. Bake for 45-60 minutes. The biscuits should be a light golden colour on top.
6. Cut into squares while still hot and leave them to cool in the pan.
7. Sprinkle with a little sieved icing sugar before serving.
- Ginger chocolate shortbread bars (hungryhinny.wordpress.com)
- Thistle Shortbread for Burns Night (londoneats.wordpress.com)
- Give your heart away . . . Quick and easy shortbread recipe (mylifemyblogzane.wordpress.com)
- Week Twenty One – Mary Berry’s Millionaire’s Shortbread (lewisandkim.com)
- Valentine’s Shortbread Biscuits (mercercreative.wordpress.com)